- Concept artist – a concept artist comes up with the initial designs and appearance for the project.
- Character designer – a character designer designs characters based on the initial sketches of the concept artist, personality and physical traits that are given to them by the director of the project.
- 2D animator – a 2D animator creates motion by drawing still images that are put into a sequence that create the look of movement.
What skills are required
Skills required for a character designer
- Colour theory
- Attention to detail
- Ability to draw in a variety of styles
- Knowledge of expressions and body language
- Visual story telling
- Time management
- Knowledge of the animation or game development process
I researched a few different character designer job openings in Northern Ireland, there was not many available however I did find an opening with Cartoon Saloon, but the post did not explain if it was an entry level job. I would assume that 1 to 2 years experience is required for the job as it’s working on a TV show and most jobs in this field need some experience.