#IXD303 – Parent Surveys

The Survey

Creating a great concept & app is fantastic, however, without a userbase then it is nothing. While surveys aren’t great at asking ‘why’ they are great at asking ‘what’. This ultimately gives us a better understanding of the problem in a quantitative manner. For this survey, I want to understand my potential target audience better and to gain a more defining and quantitative insight into their demographics and behavior. Additionally, I want to answer some assumptions that I have via contextual research.

For my survey, I will be asking focusing on the demographics and challenges parents face with children who are suffering from mental disorders, below I have made 9 questions to ask my potential users:

1. What is your marital status? – Do my user’s have ‘healthy’ relationships?
  2. How old are you? – What is the age range of my users and why would this affect their role in parenting?
  3. What is the age of your child? – Is my target range right?
  4. What is the gender of your child? Who is more affected?
  5. Does your child suffer from any of the mental disorders listed below? Different mental illnesses have different goals.
  6. Does your child suffer from a developmental disability? (E.g. Autism) Does disability have a play?
  7. What are the biggest struggles that come with caring for a child with a mental disorder?
  8. Have you tried any social care/support for your child?
  9. Have you tried using any mental wellness apps for your child?

Results

Surprisingly, the majority of people who participated in this survey were married (66%) while the rest were either divorced or single. Before sending this survey out I assumed that many children would be from separated families however, this is not the case. Most participants were in the 28- 40 age range giving me a greater insight into who my target audience are. Question number three was especially important as it has narrowed my age range down from original assumptions. Half the participant’s children were aged 12 – 14, surprising my original assumption of 9 – 11. Additionally, an overwhelming percentage were male.

The above shows that 50% of participants’ children suffer from anxiety, with the majority of participants’ children not suffering from a developmental disability. Many of the candidates were split on child support, something that has grabbed my attention and overhwelming parents said no to mental wellness apps.

Conclusion

While the amount of people who participated in this survey isn’t as great as I would have expected, especially with all the countless ‘mummy forums’ I have now enrolled my email credentials into, I am still happy with the participant’s answers and feel that I have captured and enhanced who my target users are and some of the challenges they have.