#IXD304 Week 10 – Big Motive

In week 10, Big Motive, a design agency presented a lecture about storytelling, how important it is and how it is structured. Storytelling in ancient art, defined by an ancient Greek philosopher, Aristotle, it provides a fun and compelling journey that the audience will enjoy and engage with. So to be able to implement it you must provide cater and focus on 7 main elements of storytelling – plot, character,  theme, dialogue, melody, decor and spectacle.

Plot

Values are at the top of the hierarchy, plot plays a vital role in any story. It gives it depth and enables an event that raises a dramatic question. The plot of my story is Russia entrenches on American superiority, so America embarks on an ambitious plan to prove the world wrong.

Character

These are the people who are being affected by the plot. To build strong characters they have to be consistent and personally exclusive across the entire story. This can make the audience more likely to empathise with the characters if their traits relate to them. In my project, the characters are three defined heroic and ambitious people which whom the reader will empathise with and against the public and Moscow’s global weight.

Theme

The theme has extreme importance in the plot. It gives the audience an opportunity to understand the underlying motivations and fear. As a designer, a theme helps me differentiate my product from competitors.

Dialogue

Dialogue is how characters/narrator connect with each other and with the audience. – Who is the audience? What is the audience expecting? How is the message told? How does this compliment the brand’s story?

Melody

From a product’s perspective, melody translates to the familiar set of sequences, animations, interface elements, structure, etc. for a product or service. This is ensured by the consistency of branding and must be assumptive of what the audience expects.

Decor

The decor is basically the props and graphics that support the theme. In storytelling, many humans prefer visual storytelling more. It allows us to engage with what we see and visualize the situation at hand. Depending on my audience’s taste.

Spectacle

Spectacles are the memorable and unique details in a story. For a product, it could be a unique and enticing animation or surprise.

Conclusion

Storytelling is a key aspect of our deliverable as we have covered it in the past it is great to have a refresh on it and see other people’s perspectives on it which can ultimately spark new and fresh ideas. This lecture has made me recap and look back on my project to make sure I have covered every part the best I can.