#IXD104 – Inga Hampton Pocket Profile

https://dribbble.com/IngaHampton

About Inga

Inga Hampton is an Northern Irish prolific product designer, illustrator and 2D game artist who currently works as a designer at cue.

I really love her landscape illustrations and how she creates a dense atmosphere in all of them. Although, unlike Harry Nesbitt, Inga has less detail on what defines the foreground and background as she contains a multi-layer of detail instead which puts less emphasis on it. She also uses more geometric points allowing her to make more detailed scenes. Although, this is not what I’m looking for, I can still learn how she uses other elements to create atmosphere.

Analysing her work:

• Use of roughed transparent gradients.
  • Sky backdrop is usually bright and colourful while dense foreground is more darker and harsh.
  • Extremely playful with the colour scheme and creates a colour ‘essence’ through all tones.
  • More points used allowing her to make a more detailed scene but yet still retain a sense of simplicity.

This piece is one of my favourites from Inga. It is something I would love to remake and try to implement a similar artistic style into my travel app.

Analysing her work:

• Use of ‘choppy’ gradients from main light source which can be seen reflecting on the sea.
  • Colour scheme is manipulated by primary light source.
  • Use of white noise to add texture and detail to the scene.
  • Foreground is blurred out creating a sense of depth in the scene.
  • Background elements are blended in together.

This piece is interesting as it is more aligned with a travel app. I noticed how similar this piece is to Harry’s Nesbit’s artistic style. Although, Inga uses more of a blended gradient in this piece.

Looking at Inga’s work I was really amazed at it. She is fantastic at illustrating landscapes and creating immense environments from simple illustrations. I want to accomplish similar with the stylistic approaches of my travel app. It is really helpful to me researching and analysing all of these illustrative designers as it inspires my stylistic approach and how I can create not just landscapes for my travel app but the overall structure such as how I can define the background and foreground.