#IXD103 – Sketching Monograms

Initial Problems

I started off sketching my monogram with my initials ‘CMC’. This proved to be difficult from the start as it is three letters which is harder to create than a two letter monogram. The ‘M’ is also a long letter containing a lot of indents and curves making the monogram longer than it should be. It is also harder and removes the possibility of both simipfying and condensing the monogram to geometric shapes/patterns.

I decided to ditch my full initials and just use my first name and middle name ‘Cormac James’ as ‘CJ’ just fits better into each other and makes for a much more balanced and intertwined monogram. It also sounds more professional.

I decided to create a variety of monograms and develop them in different ways. I wanted the monogram to stay consistent with my brand values such as simplistic, premium and modern.

I picked on the monogram I liked the most and resketched it in more detail acknowledging proportion, geometry and line length.

I found sketching and developing my monograms this way very helpful as it has allowed me to flexibly look at the shape and form of my monogram and has allowed me to develop and create a variety of different and unique monograms. I will now begin digitising some of my chosen monograms.