IXD104 – Week 11 – Feedback on infographic

Today I had a one to one with Paul to discuss my process with my infographic. I have spent a while gathering statistics and information on my topic – Urbanisation in Population. Over the past month I have also been gathering inspiration for my illustrations and colour. Talking with Paul was great because I got to see what he thought, hear his opinions on what I could change and ultimately improve my infographic.

As he was speaking I noted down some of advice, the image is below.

This is the first version that I showed him and my first attempt at making an infographic:

My Infographic

What did he like:

• My colour choice
  • The cityscape intro illustration
  • He thought I had a good amount of information
  • How I curved the title ‘urbanisation’ off the road and lead it down the page

What do I need to work on/add:

• Changing the colour of text to make it pop more.
  • Adding in figures to break up the text.
  • I don’t need to add another section, Paul says that what I have is enough, therefore I just need to alter the end.
  • Add in a few figures in large text for the end of the infographic.
  • Add a title to it so people know what they are reading.
  • Make numbers bigger and bolder.

All of the point above are what Paul saw and what he thinks I should do to make my infographic more successful, I made notes myself on what I think need work and little areas that I can edit and fix up:

• I think I should add detailing to the road illustration (road marks in white) so they stand out.
  • I think I could add a little shading to the big sign at the end so it looks a bit more realistic.
  • Clean up edges and ensure all buildings are the correct shape and width.
  • Add some grass details.

Overall this talk with Paul really helped and I am glad I got his input on things. I am very proud of my first try at an infographic because I actually really enjoyed putting all of the elements together. I also really liked my colour choice and Paul liked it too, I am looking forward to seeing what other members of the class think and hope to get their feedback next week. I think that my research into colour and cityscapes really helped because I go to see different styles and try out a few different ones to see what would work for me – showing that research really does make a huge difference and is very necessary.