Reference

This week we are focusing on trying to learn the traditional techniques and patterns used in generating impact through colour in animation.

I started to look into various colour schemes within my favourite animated movies. Then tried to pin point what technique was used, and what impact that technique therefore generated.

My first go to was Violet Evergarden, as the art work for this Anime stood out to me as particularly memorable and impactful.

The technique used here I believe is a complementary colour scheme, in which colours from opposite sides of the colour wheel (in this instance blue and yellow) are clashed together. I believe this is why this background is particularly memorable because it blends two completely opposing colours together and generates impact from doing so. I wanted to base my first attempt off of this.

1st Attempt

Although I am happy enough with this attempt, I feel like I was too focused on trying to make it look epic, and flashy and not as focused on the colour scheme or the overall detail. I felt because of this the background looked flat. So I wanted to focus my next attempt more on the colours used.

Reference

The next movie colour scheme I looked at was this still, from Klaus.

This image is an example of an Analogous colour scheme. The colour blue seemingly dominates the frame. Which allows the emotion of the colour to shine through more, dependability, trust. All emotions present in the scene are also present in the colour that dominates the frame.

2nd Attempt

This is my attempt at an analogous colour scheme.

Although this attempt may not look as finished as my first one. I feel focusing on the colours and the fundamentals more allowed me to think about the colour scheme I was using more intently. I wanted to try creating another analogous background, so I did one for the group project based background task.

3rd Attempt

Conclusion

Im very happy with this final result, overall I feel learning and experimenting with these colours has made me realise how important and prominent colours can be in art and animation. And I feel i’ve learned a lot about how to utilise colours in my own artwork during these exercises.