Fine Art Painting/Print

On the first day of this workshop we had to use a variety of different objects, both our own objects we had brought in and objects that were provided in the workshop space. We were told we all had to work together to make a sculpture with all the objects we had. I was a little hesitant to get involved at first as I wasn’t sure what to incorporate into the sculpture and what would make it look more interesting but once other people started adding things I was able to come up with more ways to add on to it. Overall I think our sculpture was good and the objects we used worked well together which created an interesting abstract piece.  After this we then had to do a few quick observational drawings of our sculpture which I enjoyed although found a little difficult as I didn’t know what part of the sculpture to focus on and I was spending too much time trying to things look realistic. The last thing we had to do for this day was an abstract collage based on our sculpture. I thought this was fun as we were able to create something however we wanted. I used a neon Green page for my background to help it stand out and I cut out abstract shapes based on some of my drawings and I used a few other materials like string and tissue paper to capture the thinner materials used in the sculpture.

For the Printmaking part of this workshop we firstly had to use one Indian ink in one colour to create several prints of either the objects in our drawings of the sculpture or our own designs. I did all of mine from the drawings I made which I think turned out well as the objects were simple to draw and turned out well. I wish I experimented with different colours as I did most of mine in black and the only other colour I used was red which didn’t turn out as vibrant as I wanted it to due to the red ink mixing with the black ink I used before, although I do think this created an interesting effect as the red mixed with the black gave it an almost gradient effect. After this we had to do prints where we had to paint different materials then place them facing up over a dark background. We then had to place a page over our design and use the printing press to transmit the ink onto the page which gave it a unique and cool effect. I enjoyed doing this and although I had little experience with printing I liked how my pieces turned out in the end.