Weeks 8-12, making Dez in blender

Overview

On week 8 I began adding the building blocks for Dez, at first not really sure how I would get the teardrop shape of his body along with the unique shape of his head and what else although when on YouTube one of the days I came across a youtuber that models anthropomorphic characters in Blender. This YouTuber actually used a combination of spheres and the sculpting tools to layout the basic anatomy of the characters and this seemed like a much clearer way to create the outline of Dez, this did indeed turn out to be a much easier method when I tried it out for myself in Blender and so when it came to actually sculpting the details onto him I already had quite a solid starting point to work with. For week 9 I started sculpting the details around him, such as: his nose shape, his brow, the fluff at the sides of his face and I started working on refining the shape of his paws and blending the parts of his legs together to get a better shape for them. Once the sculpting was finished for him duringĀ  week 10 I got to work starting the retopology. During this time I was also working quite a bit on my animation studio module assignment which was due before this module and so not much time could be given to work on my model until I finished the work for my other module however by the time week 11 hit I could successfully allocate time towards finishing the retopology of this model and within the span of 3 1/2 full days of working on it I was able to complete his retopology in week 12, just before I became ill due to a bug that was going around my household at this time.

I took time to create his clothing on top of his topologized form and used the solidify modifier to give the clothes a sense of depth when they are sitting atop his model. I’m not quite sure I did the seams right for him in order to unwrap his UV mapping although everything became a mad dash to get him finished in time for the assignment on the end of week 12. Illness made it difficult for me to spend as much time on him as I would have liked on the Thursday and stress mixed with panic made it nearly impossible to appropriately manage my time in a way that would allow me to do everything I needed to, in the little time that I had to do it. By Friday morning I had to finishing unwrapping his UV Mapping, as well as finish last minute texturing for him in the sculpting mode and his lantern still needed to be seen to before I would be able to relax. Not to mention that he still needed to be rigged properly so that I could pose him before uploading him to Sketch Fab. After frantically working on the finishing touches for Dez on the Friday the assignment was due, I quickly coloured him using the material interfaces in Blender and did not have enough time to try baking maps to add to him from other programmes and so when he was uploaded to sketch fab his texture became wonky and disfigured as a result.