Week 12 – Web Essay Design Critique

Web Essay Design Critique

In our workshop on Friday 10th of December we went through our designs to get feedback from lecturers and other students within the class. Overall I was happy with the design of my web essay and I thought the use of CSS Grid to create a structured layout was a good way to create a design that had similar characteristics to Massimo Vignelli in addition to using sans-serif typefaces such as Helvetica, which was used throughout the project at varying weights and sizes.

One piece of feedback I got on my website was to ensure that all the paddings and spacing between each element was consistent throughout the whole design of the web essay, I personally agree with this piece of feedback as some of the images within my design were not spaced evenly. This was a simple fix within my design as I just had to go through and ensure that all the images were correctly spaced with the same distance between each one.

Another piece of criticism was that I could do without one of the block quotes in my web essay, when I showed my work previously I was advised to add an additional block quote into the design to create more visual breaks for the reader. Personally I agree with this as it is a long piece of body content and visual breaks for the reader would be perfect for creating a better readability experience for the user, as I am using a solid black background colour for my design without using a contrasting colour for each section I personally thing visual breaks are extremely important.

I also had to go through and double check my references were in the Harvard style as I had done this incorrectly on my first attempt, this was a simple fix once I got the grips with how students reference in the Harvard style and I just has to go through my web essay content and ensure that all my references were changed.