March 6 2022

Staff Model Progress – Attachments

Bandage Wraps

The first thing I decided to try and model was the bandages wrapped around the middle of the staff, which I tried to do a few different ways before deciding to research different ways to do it.

I found a video that I liked the look of and thought it would work for the type of thing I was looking for. I knew I could manipulate it to look the way I wanted it to. This is the video;

I followed the process for the leather wraps shown in the video, to duplicate the faces of the staff handle and then move them to the shape I wanted, and then shrinkwrap them to the main model. Then extruding them, and moving the vertices to ensure they fit around the staff in the way I needed them to.

For the looser bandages, I took the duplicated faces from the other wraps before I had shrink-wrapped them, and extruded them without doing that. Then I used the edge and vertices tools to ensure they sat the way I needed them to.

Hanging String Parts

I used the EP curve tool again to create curves where I wanted the strings to be on the model and then used a sweep mesh. They ended up having a lot of subdivisions, but I wanted them to look like rope or string, so I needed the curve precision to be quite high.

Then I followed the same vague process I used for the bandage wraps, to make it look like the hanging ropes or strings were wrapped around the top of the staff, instead of just hanging there and coming out of the staff.

Dreamcatcher

I created a cylinder primitive and deleted the two end faces as they weren’t suitable for this shape. Then I extruded the shape and changed the thickness to get this shape. I also bevelled the edges, as nothing really has a sharp corner in reality.

I then made loops around the branch above the dreamcatcher too, as I really hate them looking like they’re coming out of nowhere. As well as adding little bits on the string, like a gem-shaped trinket and a bead.

Crystal in Dreamcatcher

There’s a crystal in the middle of the dreamcatcher in my design, so I decided to make that next. I found a tutorial showing how to make very stylised crystals and used the basic process from it.

The first attempt was too messed up, basically, every face was an n-gon and I couldn’t fix them with the multi-cut tool as it kept creating more on other faces when I added an edge. So I decided to redo it, but more carefully this time and with my new experience/knowledge.

It worked out a lot better

Poker Chip

Ah yes, the tiny bit of the original concept I had to keep for my sanity, a poker chip. I also used a cylinder, deleting the faces and bridging the edges. Then I used the multi-cut tool to create a bit around the edges. I selected the face loop and scaled it out to create a thicker part. Then I bevelled the edges.

Feathers

I made feathers using the same process as we were shown in the flower and flower pot recordings, by taking a plane, getting rid of the subdivisions and adding your own. Then use them to create the shape you want, and extruding it, adding thickness. I also added a part in the middle of the feathers to make it more realistic.

More Crystals

There are crystals kind of embedded in the staff at the bottom, so I followed the same process as making the other crystal to create more ones for here, not wanting them all to be carbon copies of each other.


Posted March 6, 2022 by radcliffe-a in category 3D Digital Literacy

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

*