Cactus Project

The coming semester is about 3D animation and learning how to use 3D modelling software for modelling and animation. This little cactus project was an optional assignment to try and work through before the semester actually starts, to try and familiarise yourself with MAYA and the process of modelling.

This is my Cactus, he was very hard for me to make and I shall name him Gerry.

I have used MAYA once before, in a work experience placement where I made a 3D bucket prop for their game, following a tutorial someone working there had given me. However that was a few years ago, and it was still just copying the steps presented to me. I have no real experience using 3D software and I feel very out of my depth trying to do it.

It took me about a day to follow through the tutorial, following Alec’s steps, I had very few issues or complications arise during the process which was surprising to me. I quite enjoyed the process, and I think I am very interested in learning how to actually 3D model on my own, without needing to follow step by step tutorials. I had wanted to try and add some extra things, like blush and a monocle but I was running out of time and space on my laptop, as it doesn’t have a very large SSD. I plan to get a hard drive with more space put in my laptop so I’ll actually have enough space for all these files.

I am quite proud of how it came out, as it is one of my first attempts at 3D modelling, although I definitely played it too safe with the animation aspect of the cactus, as I tried to be subtle with its movements due to my inexperience and just trying to get it done. I should’ve removed the cast shadows from his eyes as well, as I think it would’ve looked better, or cuter. But overall, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.