Week 4 – Colour

This week was about colour, which is an area actually that I feel unusually confident in, considering I know virtually nothing about the colour theory itself. I’m excited to start working in colours though, as I dislike working in tonal.

Colour Palettes

I used Adobe Colour for the first task, which was to take a scene from multiple animations of your choosing and to take a palette from it. I chose Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse, Tales of Zestiria the X and Voltron, which are some animated shows and movies that I thought were very aesthetically pleasing when I watched them. I think it was helpful to examine the colour schemes used in professional animations and explore different palettes.

Colouring a thumbnail

The other task was to colour one of the thumbnail drawings. Looking at colour palettes from other animations and images, and seeing what emotions they portrayed was helpful in trying to choose appropriate colours for this task. Due to my issues with timing, I have chosen one of the first set of thumbnails to colour.

Moods portrayed through colour

The third task was to take the landscape image given to us and to colour it to suit different moods, therefore I chose to colour it simply so I could experiment more with the colours. I chose sadness and mysticism as my emotions to try and show, however, I am unsatisfied with how the first attempt at this task went and I’ll come back to try more at some point. I feel like the sadness was a little too literal, just taking natural colours and making them duller when I want to try and incorporate more colours into my art.

Sadness

Mysticism