IXD103 – Planning & Creating my Wordmark & Monogram

Monogram

After completing all of the elements of my banking brand I moved onto my Personal Brand which is an important final project as it can be used for not just this year but for our portfolios next year. I felt the most important element of this project would be the monogram/visual marque so I went about sketching down any potential ideas I had for my monogram as seeing them on paper would allow me to narrow down my list to some concrete ideas. I experimented using my usual initials ‘T.E’ but I also wanted to to try using my first and middle name initials, ‘T.J’ and consider dropping the use of the last name. Below are some of the sketches I created for my monogram.

\

I feel my sketches explored a range of different design elements but I felt that my strongest options where number 3, 6 & 7. To see how some of my sketches looked on screen I used Figma to help create these designs as you can see below:

After looking how each design would look with typography and getting peer feedback I decided to choose the third design as I felt it was slick and subtle.

Wordmark:

After looking and researching different designers and their logos I wanted to create a wordmark that uses a lighter, simpler font so using adobe I found a couple of different types that I wanted to use; Acumin and Sofia Pro. I experimented with each font beside the monogram and came up with these two designs:

Acumin –

Sofia Pro –

I opted for using Sofia Pro as it was more of the weight of font I wanted while also keeping its simple and elegant look. I also feel it contrasts well with the monogram and it can be used in a range of colours.