IXD103 – Week 9 – Research

This weeks lecture prepared us to focus on how we would start to write our 500 word branding article by looking at a range of different elements.

Task One

After signing up to the Article site, Medium we were tasked with finding and analysing a piece of work surrounding the topic of branding and creating our own summary of it. I decided to choose an article from the Harvard Business Review, ‘High-Performance Marketing: An Interview with Nike’s Phil Knight.” My review of the article is below:

“This article that I chose was from the Harvard Business Review, ‘High-Performance Marketing: An Interview with Nike’s Phil Knight.” This article shows the effect that Nike’s branding has had on making them a global brand and becoming the market leader in Clothing and Footwear. The article gave me an insight into one of the best companies when it comes to branding, with Nike being a brand known around the world like Coke and IBM and this is partly due to their effective use of branding slogans such as “Just Do It” and “There Is No Finish Line.” These slogans have moved from being branding into popular expression. Their effective branding slogans and logos especially with their work with Jordan Brand has allowed a Nike to take over the athletic market and hit $1 Billion in revenue.

They have transitioned to the little know Blue Ribbon Sports into the powerhouse they have today by focusing on two key elements, design and promoting the brand. The lessons this article has taught me will be important in the future as it has shown how Nike took a brand that was being overtaken by its competitors to the top of the mountain per say through the use of effective branding methods such as slogans which will forever be associated with their brand.”

Nike's 'Just do it' slogan inspired by death row prisoner's last words

This task was very useful for me as it shown me an aspect of branding I was struggling with, slogans and how crucial they can be in making a brand recognisable for the consumer. Nike used these branding elements to catapult themselves above all of their competitors and becoming the Number 1 sportswear retailer in the world.

Task 2:

In our group we looked at all of the different aspects of our brand design period and seen what elements we really liked and which ones we found challenging. For me the process of creating a Logomark and choosing my brands main colours was an important part of the design process which I enjoyed, however settling on 5 core brand values was a challenge for me. We sectioned our interesting aspects and challenging aspects of the branding process using sticky notes which I have shown below.

Task 3: 

Task 2 & 3 were intertwined as we used the range of different aspects of the branding process that we looked at in Task 2 to help us create a title for our Branding article that we planned in Task 3. After consultation with my peers and my lecturer I decided that my branding article will focus on the importance of colour in the branding process, as it will allow me to focus on the importance of colour psychology and consistency for the consumer and how focusing on your colours can make your brand recognisable for life.