IXD 104 – Week One

For this semester we are being introduced to image and data visualisation and to me this is quite a broad topic that I am excited to explore. From our first class I could see how important it is t0 have clear and concise designs to help display content and make it easier for your user. One of the main focuses of this first lecture was to show us the emphasis we will be taking on visual design and how taking a broader look on a design will allow us to see greater meaning from it.

We were introduced to a number of artists and in particular I was found of artists such as Andre Carrilho. I particularly liked his use of extensive colour to help the design stand out and also his of exaggerated facial expressions and body form. Two designs I liked from his portfolio are ‘Vanity Fairs Oscar Party Mural’ and ‘150 years of Diário de Notícias’ which I have shown below.

I also had a fondness for Chase Jarvis and his photography pieces. I liked the way he shows the beauty of natural elements and the focus he has on facial features and expressions which gives his pieces an emotional connection.

We found out about our first assignment, designing a travel app unique to us. For next week we had to research existing travel apps, and think about what we would want our app to be based on. We will be using Figma to recreate a list of travel icons to show our own spin on them.