Week 3 – Animated Narratives, Establishing our group and talking ideas.

This week, after going through presentations, we were tasked with forming the group we will be working with going forward for this semester’s second assignment – a 15 to 30 second 3D animation.

My group is myself, Samantha, Ciara, Ellie and Will. We spent the afternoon of allotted time concepting ideas, trying to ascertain how we could tell a basic story with the use of simple characters. We toyed around with the idea of vegetable characters, characters which look like rayman (detached hands and feet) until finally Ellie suggested a type of character that we all loved the idea of: Ghosts. Ciara promptly suggested toast ghosts, which I think had originally been a joke but we did come up with a few ideas around that theme. In the end, I am of the opinion that whilst this is very funny and we had a lot of fun drawing with it, it would be a little too difficult to come up with a plot around this theme.

We moved on and I came up with the idea of Ghost Gardeners – These ghosts are responsible for tending to and restoring abandoned graves in their cemetery. I thought that this would be a nice plot, we could make it quite emotional with elements of humour here and there. These are some little doodles I came up with: