Semester 2 – First Project, Animated Cactus.

This semester focus’ on the principles of 3D animation and learning how to use 3D modelling and animation software. We were given an optional assignment, as a chance to get to grips with some of the functions of Maya, to create a 3D cactus character.

I won’t lie, this was very difficult for me – I have absolutely no experience with 3D processes so this was a HUGE learning curve – I think at almost every stage I had some sort of issue that I either managed to sort out on my own or asked for help with. I enjoyed every stage of creating this animation, modelling was great and I was surprisingly fond of rigging – rigging gave me the most issues and because of this I think I learned a lot more about it. I played around with the skeleton and parenting groups before deciding to start from the beginning again after discovering what I had done wrong (issues with the hierarchy of parenting the joints.)

Despite issues with every process, and this taking me about 5-6 days to do (which is probably ridiculous), I had great fun and I’m really really proud of how he turned out. I know he’s not perfect – I should have removed the cast shadow coming from his left cheek blush and I should have positioned the lighting better so that the sheen on his body wasn’t cut off at his head – but I love him.

His name is Carlos. * w*