Animated Narratives – Semester 2 Portfolio: “Plenty of Fish” Animated Short

This is a portfolio of my work and progress for the Swordfish and Caviar group and our animated short video “Plenty of Fish”.

Pre Production Phase: Week 1 – 5
During this phase of the pipelline I started by presenting ideas for the team and when we had gathered enough ideas we all looked at what got our attention the most. Once we established what the project was I began sketching some ideas for the characters. First was digital as I wanted to work with references, but I did also make traditional sketches once I knew what I was doing.

Production Phase: Week 6 – 9
Once done with all the concepts (I unfortunetely never got around to making a final ref sheet or final design) I moved onto the modelling. I wanted to get through with it as soon as I could because I am inexperienced with Maya 3D modeling in general so I forsaw needing help. Especially when it came to the rigging. Even though it was a simple rig it bought me a lot of pain.

Mid production Phase: Week 9 – 12
after recieving suggestions and advice from the instructors I was able to fix the model and make some good adjustments. The rest of the production line was simply finishing with the model and sorting out the rigging.

Late Production: 12- submission
I began working on the textures and skinning process, although I had started earlier, I had some issues with having to remake the UVs and re-import the model to Substance. Ater that I added the textures, but still had problems with the rigging. As it turned out I needed to redo the Rig, most of it anyways, once that was sorted I moved onto animation. When it came time to rendering I rendered the scenes as TiFFs because I wanted to put the 2D backgrounds in the back of the scene as static backgrounds. I put the files in Adobe After Effects with the backgrounds and exported it as an MP4 file. Although I nearly forgot to make them mp4s so I quickly used the media encoder to transform the AVI files to mp4s.

Final scenes:

Final animation:

And that was the proccess of the animation for “Plenty of Fish”.