MAC-LABS

MAC LABS CLASS- ONLINE WITH DANIEL

LIFE AS AN INANIMATE OBJECT

I sit, I watch and I wait.

hours, days and years go by as I watch the seasons change from the window. In certain rooms I am not at a window, many days I am near a table. sometimes I move or sometimes I stay still. I have many alike me, different shapes and sizes too. made for comfort and made for rest, lifting you off your feet I am the best!

I have lots of colours and it can make me unique but I can come in sets so I can stay with the family. I get scared that I could break, it could happen so fast but all I can do is trust the humans and hope I don’t break with someone’s fat ass.

PORTRAIT

The task was to create a portrait of the person you were assigned to in the group over a webcam however in this task I drew and painted in watercolours the person I live with.

Monogram

In this task we were to take our initials in this case for me L.C and we were to create our own Monograms out of our signatures. For this task however i developed my already designed logo based of my rabbit with my well thought decision in colour and style. i moulded it to my liking to fit the context of the monograms brief and experimented with different approaches and physocal materials instead of digital materials. I sketched out ideas and settled on my initials as L.Y and continued with that and my concept idea of a bunny logo. overall I love my monogram and I really enjoyed everything about it.

The last task was to write up and essay based around controversial artists give your opinion and explain why they chose to do this It with their art and how it is controversial.

research

Lyndsey clarke- researching Controversial artists

Design: JIM HENSON

Jim Henson is the creator of muppets a different type of artist than the normal in my opinion I would call him more of a creative designer. Jim Henson created realism with his ideas. He had a feeling and a creative endeavour of world building and showing people his ideas. He creatively expresses his art through design and puppetry, though he did not do much art himself his creative ideas and controversial opinion conflicted the movie industry where he worked. In conflict with many creations of his own being cancelled for how different and dark the concepts he made were, he finally broke through with the muppets and later with two other films made by his own start-up company Jim Henson company.

One movie that he made that had caused the most controversial argument at the time was the dark crystal. Many people did not understand this movie or understood what Jim Henson had created. At the time this movie was made 1982 it was a very controversial design. It spoke volumes and broke barriers of many films; it was so controversial because of how strange and dark it was compared to the many mainstream movies at the time and his other works of art such as the muppets. Compared to many other sci-fi and horror movies of 1982 this movie was vastly different and people did not know how to react.

When the movie was brought to life it was not quite accepted for its art many avoided it because of how strange it was and because of this the movie failed and the company lost money. However over time this movie grew, there was a lot of disputes and controversy over this movie about how dark it was, if it suitable  for a kids, how it was all puppets with no actors how it was scary and that it didn’t work. many didn’t like it, but the movie spoke out as a creative expression. In my opinion  it was the world an artist wanted to show people, his world how real it was and how you can turn something in your mind into art. Creating something from a drawing or a painting into sculptures then into puppets. It was amazing how Jim Henson inspired and gathered many artists to collaborate showing of many different artists ideas and their own expressions together this movie was a combination of many creative individuals who wanted to protest their own ideas and expressions. Jim Henson added every aspect of art into his movies with paintings, jewellery makers, wood carvers, sculptures, puppetry, clothing design, prop design, set design, mechanics, and robotics.

The movie explores the dark parallels of life that Jim Henson wanted to communicate, and people were not ready to see this form of art. A survival in a mystical land that represented our own world and how we could view it in a different way, it was an experimental piece in their own words “a story of good and evil”.

Dark crystal was the first movie ever made with no people on screen. This made it very new, Jim Henson wanted his art and puppetry to be expressive a type of movie exploring his own universe in his mind where he turned fantasy into reality and created a story. He had an idea of a world with a galaxy, creatures, symbols, and languages. With help He created and sketched a whole book of his ideas and wanted to try something new with his main talent of puppetry to bring everything alive and onto the screen.

To Create the first visual world, he based many things of plants, trees, and rocks. Jim Henson was inspired by a more traditional artist called Brain Froud. His artwork inspired Jim Henson and together they created something from their minds. They took a simple walk together as friends and together thought of making something rich, organic, that reflected the landscape that Brian called home. They ultimately tried to make something real and organic with life and they based things on religions and art forms all around them somethings being from many old cultures. As said themselves they remarked “something to exist in their own world that when we leave them in the film, we can continue to think that they are still living in that world.”

They conveyed realism and the visions they had into reality it brough some unique but in my opinion terrifying and scary concepts that were not accepted then but now many admire this movie as a work of art. Many parents created debates and argument over how the movie wasn’t suitable for children that this piece of art was too disturbing it caused a lot of controversy in news and over Jim Henson as he created the muppets. However, the movie hit bound with what it spoke. In my opinion I don’t believe the movie was right for its time and what Jim Henson and Brian Fraud tried to protest with and represent with their art it just was not accepted at the time and it didn’t achieve what it was set out to achieve. it has aged well and differently now and after much more art realised of this world was made it became a stable and it stated a point. For its own type of movie of bringing artistic ideas and designs to life that makes you feel what’s on the page and in its own world it created a powerful protest with how it worked as many artist and designers created contextual world building and the creative process of taking reference from everyday realism to express and individuals own worlds.

Artist: ROSS TRAN

Ross Tran also known as ross draws is a young artist who rose to fame with his digital art in his early twenties however, he is now twenty-seven years old. In university he experimented a lot with his artwork mainly basing his work of traditional artists where he learnt painting techniques and transferred his knowledge of colour theory and design over onto his digital canvas. Ross Tran could not decide between the style of realism and of what he loved which was anime and cartoons.

He decided to combine his interest of a semi-realistic art style such as anime and merged with his favourite type of paintings. The portraits and paintings of women. Ross wanted to create his own world and express his ideas, he did this as not only an artist but a designer thinking about the positioning of his art, perfecting the sketches, using shapes, and picking the right colours. He always uses real photography and his environment as a reference. Ross Tran wanted to make something unique with his art.

Ross Tran was the first to express his art by using a technique in photoshop called colour dodge. this made him exceedingly popular in the industry of concept art and environment design on movie sets such as Disney, but he became a prodigy with his digital art skills, YouTube channel and online tutorials. A lot of thinking goes into his art and designs as he not only treats his artwork as paintings but as photographs ,constantly thinking of the design process such as: colour, feeling, position effects, how the piece of art speaks, what story the art tells, what story he wants his characters to tell, their personality and the fundamentals of art.

With everything being worked into his master pieces the lines, theory, and form of how the piece works is completely designed from start to finish. In my opinion I believe what he was creating and trying to achieve worked well how he wanted to establish his own brand with his personality it shows throw in his art when he uses bright colours, movement and expression in his female portraits. How everything is done to a professional standard with how it draws the viewer in.

He created his own world and went on the make his own book, he plans to make his own company and bring his ideas into movies. Because of how unique and vastly popular his art was he grew and created a statement with his art a main mantle piece.

A lot of controversy started over his art because of how fast he become popular and what he represented in the art community. The main controversy about his artwork was that many people believed he had traced his art from photographs. Photographs and pictures of women or models that he used for reference and more so used as a tool rather than a crutch like many suggested. however this controversy claimed he was copying and tracing work many were outraged at his expressive work due to him not crediting his photographic references such as the models displayed in those photographs that helped him pose the women in his artwork. overall, the main language of his work spoke volumes he wanted to show people they could express themselves and be who they are as an artist. His controversial work that was new, experimental, and unique became popular because it had never been done before. as he grew his main protest and main brand of identity became a stable and a statement of his art, this was
“find your light” with his artwork this is what he wanted to tell his audience and his followers. That through your art you can find your light your creative spark and expression. In my opinion it was effective, he achieved what he aimed for creating a book for his art and his fans a world where creative ideas were free and to take pride and love what you do. I believe he wanted to inspire younger artists and I completely agree he did just that.

Research: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljkz3DZlzYI&ab_channel=TheArtistBlockhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEVrhumRsK67JkP3G4w5cQ

Skip to toolbar