ANIMATED NARRATIVES PORTFOLIO wip

MIRO IDEA BOARD: INISTIAL IDEAS

PLANT STORY THE FIRST IDEA CONCEPT

Storyboard was made however later scrapped for a better idea as it turned out to be was to complex to put into production in the time frame set

overall the idea felt to cliché and not independently creative enough we decided to go for a simpler idea that was more creative and pushed ideas further but kept camera angles and designs simpler for the 3d animated pipeline

animated movies we used as a reference for the second idea when developing the concept and story are brave, princess Mononoke and epic

the group kept high communication in class initially setting ideas up through the miro boards however we moves to discord and created separate tabs in order to structure and priorities our work

creating the first presentation allowed us to arrange and finalise our idea as well as outlining the progress in our group. we created the concept art and received feedback with our ideas during this time

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eWS9EssFSb0Qbel5gq50mIGbLOKDrD6H1pIW5JYfoyk/edit?usp=sharing

CONCEPT ART:

second presentation for class allowed us to further push the concepts and then focus on the storyboard and environment as a whole

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fVfEATWMLnfIfh8hkMRPbsIT9CNOacs9/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=110231719344744016599&rtpof=true&sd=true

REAL LIFE PICTURE REFERENCES:

REFEREBCE IMAGES:

CONCEPT ART:

STORYBOARD:

DEVELOPMENT OF STORYBOARD:

after the team members drew their own versions of the storyboards we took decided on final shots that we all agreed worked well in the story. i finalised the storyboards shots and ideas and re drew the storyboard as a final storyboard.

FINAL STORYBOARD:

3D PREVIS:

at this point we were having difficulties in our group with some members not being available and progress and communication dropped slightly. to keep up with progress and stay on schedule with the time we needed to cut corners in order to do so our main 3d teammate made the rough drafts of the previs models and environment which each member took and animated their scenes we decided to do this as it kept everything consistent

i mainly took on the role of concept artist in the group and mainly lead the creative direction and story of the animation setting everything up in a structure. we overall took on different roles and collaborated constantly working as a team. with my scene for the previse I tried three camera angels to set up backups shots as well as extended the environment designs. through this point i decided to try more 3d for myself and experimented with the lighting to create a small mood board of sorts to gain and idea foe the colours and whimsical lighting we would need to fully set up an develop

as a group we decided on fundamental points into he animation such as weapons and hats to separate the individual characters from one another we took each a design we liked from the concept art furthered that and made a character into 3d to start the character modelling. at this stage keeping the modelling consistent because difficult however our main 3d teammate structured a design on how to create the model and keep it consistent with the concept art this overall allowed the rest of the group to follow a similar process which kept the character looking like they are from the same universe and overall kept the setup for the animated rig consistent and accurate that it would work.

we ran unto some separate issues for each models along the way and individually received help from the lectures however our main difficulty with the models resulted in the eyes but we later resolved thoise problems

the process and the rigging for my character took longer than I had initially though and i struggled greatly to understand a lot as 3d is not my preferred medium. i received a lot of guidance and help which allowed me to make my scene on time but later than everyone else. we weren’t able to finish the entire story as some members left the group this left two ending scenes un- animated as during the initial process we each picked our two favourite scenes to animated.

my two scenes were shots three – four although im not experienced in 3d modelling i have a fast skillset when it comes to animating i understand the timeline and animation techniques required as i was able in a matter of hours to pull my two fight scenes together I believed they turned out rather well. i had planned with my group in the event me alongside other members weren’t able to make their scenes in time i had planned out the storyboard to be interchangeable and having only a small set of scenes done would still grantee a part of the story on its own would make sense.

here i created the rig and setup everything with the model by following my teammates consistent approaches and my lecturers guidance and feedback

when animating the final scene one teammate had created the environment and the other made all the weapons that we shared across files in order to get our scenes similar to each other. at this point we had difficulties with lighting and some problems with the models. a teammate had left and we had to create some extra assets so the story would make sense. overall we pulled it together and here in this scene that i animated i took on not only my character but the other four characters made by the other teammates because i felt i wasnt the best in the  3d pipeline when creating the assets i took on the responsibility of editing the whole final animation and editing the effects and sounds.

i believe i done really well with the animation in my scene focusing on many elements of how the model would move more realistically with weight and squash and stretch. i overall completed the direction of art concepts and carried the idea through with a lot of communication towards the whole idea and i believe achieving the visual design and keeping the production goals i had made allowed me to put forward my best skills into the group building the foundation of the animation as i know i wouldn’t have been much help with the 3D creation.

in this group we shared process and worked really well with each other guiding and helping each other. together we took on various roles

FINAL ANMIMATION

REFLECTION: reflecting on the year i found all the content being taught excellent and I loved the goals and projects alongside the group work however i felt the limit on time was disastrous and for projects such as the animations enough time to fully complete the work at a high standard was not provided and it became a rather stressful gamble in the quality of work. From my previous experiences in animating i know that major projects especially group work can take up to at least a year i felt splitting a lot of the segments of these projects was a good learning approach on this course however to achieve it all in a year and learn something was a rather difficult goal. i overall felt that i have learned some new skills and excelled current areas of my skillset on this course but i believe i was only able to create this standard of work due to my previous experience and i even still struggled with the deadlines. i believe my work in the end gave really good results and i am very pleased with the amount of new 3d skills i have gained.

in summary i believe the greatest achievement i have made during this course is being able to take onboard a large amount of work and to at my own pace complete it and stay in a mindset where i am not as stressed.