CERAMICS

ceramics artist research
Claire Cureen
Claire cureen was born in 1968,tralee, co. Kerry Ireland and studied at crawford college of art and design, university of ulster and the university of wales altogether from 1986-1992. she has been featured in many exhibitions such   as a solo exhibition in switzerland called “to this i put my name” at Kunstforum Solothurn. claire is also is one of the  top UK ceramic artists.
Claire Cureen creates sculptures based on human reflections, in a sense she gathers the intimate reality of nature and humanity. In her sculptures she explores the place humanity has in-between a universal theme of loss and suffering. Her porcelain sculptures and ceramic work is based on a fragile and elegant look sometimes uncomfortable to look at but offering qualities of  visual translucent based metaphors that conclude the human condition. Her art represents mysteries and desires. She creates her artworks with porcelain, terracotta, and black stoneware. This is to add depth, texture and a glossy exquisite finish. Her choice of colours like gold details define the unique qualities of her work. I believe her figures bare a feminine inspiration exaggerating a bold narrative into human perception. Claire Cureens work is quite inspirational as it is unique with how she themes white with the pearlescent touch of gold and the warped and slightly outcast forms of her ceramic sculptures.
In a unique way her art interests me, the reason being in the translucent designs and different abstract way that she represents the human body I believe her figures tap onto the guidelines of what is reality and what is not. some of her art features unrealistic imagery or the human body and the perception into the human mind. The appendages create a surrealism and different point of view on how we look at people, the reflections within ourselves. I find her work interesting due to how Claire explores colours in her work along with her expressionistic work she brings on board a full visionary package of colour and from that is very interesting to look in depth and very interesting to me as my favourite works of art are that based around the human figure.
Here are some of my favourite examples of her work:
Project work
the task was to create a ceramic standing pattern based of sketches from our sketchbooks that outlined environmental drawings. the aim was to focus on a small pattern of the environment drawings and have it onto an a5 page. from their we were to build clay around the patterns creating a standing pattern.
alongside my ceramic standing pattern i decided to create a sculpture as i was feeling creative. I based the sculpture of a human woman wearing a wolfs pelt and overall I really enjoyed the outcome. it allowed me to experiment with shape and form alongside a lot of mark  making techniques