Animation Studio – Week 9 homework, Animatics & Secondary Actions

For our homework for our ninth week of class, we were asked to make an animatic for our part of the group animation for our build a world project.

Below is my part as an animatic:

Original:

Reworked:

I used Adobe After Effects to put my animatic together. I took my frames from my storyboard, brought them into After Effects and did my best to time out each scene properly. I also brought in transparent body parts so that I was able to animate them a little within my animatic to give myself a better idea of how long each part should be.

In the reworked version, I had corrected the composition and added an extra closeup scene like I had mentioned in my previous post in accordance with the feedback I got from lecturers.

As I had mentioned in my previous post, I started it off with an establishing shot to establish the area of the scene. its followed by a close up shot and a mid shot in order for the viewer to focus on the emotion and movement happening within those scenes. The rest of the shots are made up of wide/full shots but with the character centred in order to show that they’re the most important object within the scenes.

I think my animatic turned out fairly well even if I had to fight the software a little in order to get it exported. It ended up being roughly 11 seconds long which should be long enough for the animation and if needs be, I can edit some parts while I’m animating to either shorten or lengthen them as needed. Nonetheless, I think I did well and I enjoyed putting my animatic together.

References:

Camera shots: 4 Essential Camera Shots You Need To Know | by Vliz | Medium