Animation Studio – Week 8 homework, Storyboarding & Animating with forms

For our homework for our eighth week of class, we were asked to make storyboards for our part of our build a world project and animate a flour sack doing a movement/action of our choice.

Below are my storyboards & flour sack animation:

Storyboards:

Original:

Reworked:

After getting feedback from lecturers in class, I ended up changing frame 2, 3 and 4 in my storyboards. 2 and 3 were changed in order to make animating them easier and 4 was changed in order to make the animation itself more coherent. I think the changes will make my part of the animation look better and more fluid than before. My storyboards were made with the animation in mind.

2nd reworked storyboard:

After getting more feedback from lecturers, I changed the composition of the background in most of the scenes so that it looked more appealing and added extra closeup scene to show Eden getting out of the bin.

In terms of the camera shots, I started my storyboard off with an establishing shot to establish the area for the scene for viewers. I then followed it up with a closeup shot so that viewers get a clearer view of the action happening and the character making an appearance. The mid shot after that is used is used in order to focus the viewers on the current action happening. While the remaining shots are all wide/full shots, the character stays centred in order to convey that they are the most important object within the scene.

Flour sack animation:

I’ve never animated using a flour sack before but this part of the homework was fun to do. It was interesting learning how to use the step by step method instead of using the straight ahead method like I usually do. While making this short animation, I had used Alec’s example as reference to help inform the different shapes and the movement.

I think the step by step method would be more beneficial for me to use in terms of my part for the build a world project. I think my flour sack animation turned out well and it was fun figuring out how the in between frames would look. If I was to redo this again, I would look at more than one reference when creating it.

References:

Storyboards: 4 Essential Camera Shots You Need To Know | by Vliz | Medium