Contextual Research – Communication

For our fourth week of our contextual research class, we were asked to do research around the theme of communication.

(1)

In terms of animation, the characters that are made and used for the animation help communicate the story or message that the animation is trying to convey. As things or situations happen to the characters, it’s usually easy to empathise with the emotions their feeling in the moment which reels people into it.(2)

For my research I decided to use a short animation called “Missing Halloween”. This animation came to mind for the topic of communication for its storytelling. This short animation effectively conveys a sad story around Halloween without any words being said. The story is about a lonely little boy on Halloween who makes a new friend the year before. Further on in the story its revealed that no one else can see the little girl the boy has befriended and his parents think its just an imaginary friend. At the end of the animation, it’s revealed that the little girl had been missing all this time and had actually died out in a forest full of animal traps. The little boy had been led to her body by her ghost and she was finally found by the others. This whole sad story is communicated to the viewers without a single word being said throughout the entire animation.

Logo:

I also created a logo that would communicate what I work as or rather what my business would be. I recreated a logo I had made for myself in tech as I feel it gets across the idea that I animate as a job. I also made an animated version of the logo as well, making it wave.

(1) Missing Halloween – YouTube (Accessed: 14 February 2021)

(2) Top 10 reasons for using animation in your business | Sliced Bread Animation[Online]. Sliced Bread Animation. Available at: Top 10 reasons for using animation in your business | Sliced Bread Animation (sbanimation.com) (Accessed: 14 February 2021)