Fine Art – Contextual Research, David Hockney

The third and final person I decided to research, a printmaker, is David Hockney.

Hockney was born in 1937 in Bradford in West Riding of Yorkshire. As well as being a printmaker, Hockney is also a painter, photographer, draftsmen and stage designer. In the 1960s, he made important contributions to the pop art movement and, because of that, Hockney is thought of as one of the most influential British artists of the 20th century. One of Hockney’s notable pieces of work, “Portrait of an Artist(Pool with Two Figures)” was sold for $90 million(£70 million) at the Christie Auction House in New York City on the 15th November 2018 which allowed it to become the most expensive artwork by a living artist sold at auction, overtaking Jeff Koons’ “Balloon Dog” which sold for $58.4 million in 2013. Hockney held onto that record until the 15th May 2019 when Koons reclaimed his title.

As someone who isn’t great at adding lots of detail, I can appreciate Hockney’s bright and detailed pieces of work. I enjoy that his work is so bright and fairly realistic, which is also another aspect of art that I struggle to achieve. All in all, I greatly admire Hockney’s detail and bright realism in his work, it’s fascinating.