Tools Used:

• Pencil & Sketchbook (Initial Concept Art)
  • Clip Studio Paint (Concept Art)
  • Maya (Model Creation + Rigging + Rendering)
  • Adobe After Effects (Editing + Composition)
  • Adobe Media Encoder (Video Rendering)

Pre-Production:

References:

Moodboard Created by Aveen

For whatever reason, I had neglected to create my own references for this project. Which no doubt hindered my ability to make good creative decisions.

Concept Design Art:

Unfinished WIP Sketches
Decorative Poster Design (Never Used)

Storyboard:

Original Scene 1 Storyboard provided by Aveen:

Scene 1 Storyboard created by me:

Animatic:

Previs:

Production:

Environment + Props:

Character Models:

Generic Bee Base provided by Orna. Accessories were created and added by me. The models were also rigged by me. To make up for overly simplistic models I decided to make 4 characters instead of 1. Differentiating them through just accessories. These were especially useful for filling out crowd shots. Very basic, with no blend shapes, as I felt they were unnecessary for the background characters.

Rendering:

My final animation consisted of 260 frames. My laptop struggled to render that many in any timely manner. So I resolved this by going onto campus, and used 5 of the windows computers to render the animation in chunks simultaneously, in order to cut down on the rendering time. Here are the Sampling settings I’ve used.

.

Post-Production:

There is that much I can say about this, besides that I took my rendered frames into After Effects as a PNG sequence, then exported to Media Encoder to have it rendered. I didn’t make any edits outside of basic composition. This was due to time constraints and feeling that I had nothing to add by making any form of edit to the final footage.

Scene 1 Complete:

Here’s the my animation for scene 1. (Note: sound is planned to be added in the final animation)

Final Animation: