Week 1- Introduction to the Module Creative Entrepreneurship

This module is all about getting ready for placement and employment and to further understand the creative industries.

Body of work (60%)

Research and Prototypes (40%)

20 Credit Point Module

200 hours of work

Module Aims

• To introduce a range of professional practices within the creative industry, career options and skills to improve employability.
  • To demonstrate a clear understanding of idea generation and research tools for digital product design.
  • To demonstrate skills in written and verbal communication within a professional context.
  • To underline the importance of working on paper, supporting research and independent study

Learning Outcomes

Successful students will be able to:

1. Demonstrate a clear understanding of professional practices and skills related to employability within the creative industries.
  2. Articulate ideas and information comprehensively in visual, oral and written forms with confidence in presentation skills.
  3. Develop appropriate idea generation, research methodologies and problem solving skills in relation to digital product design.
  4. Take responsibility for independent study, personal development, career development and managing time accordingly.

After the introduction  to this module and understanding the module aims and learning outcomes we did a workshop. This workshop involved us writing down on post it notes the attributes that we are hoping to find in a potential job, colleagues or in a place of employment.

I wrote down things such as:

• Friendly atmosphere and staff
  • Good pay and benefits
  • Therapy animal e,g dog (can help with stress, mental health etc)
  • Scream room (a soundproof room where you can scream in when you get stressed, helps let off steam)

We were asked to do this as when looking for employment it is a good idea to know what it is you’re looking for before you start looking.

Companies I admire or aspire to work for

Local

1. Sugar Rush Creative

I would like to work for Sugar Rush Creative as they are a highly respected design studio in Belfast. They have worked for a lot of very well known clients including the BBC, Game of Thrones, Kingspan, Top Gear and the Radio Times to name a few.

Another reason I would like to work for this company is that a lot of their projects appeal to me and their design is similar to the style that I would also create. I could see myself working here alongside the other designers. 

Sugar Rush creative specialise in creating and designing apps as well as AR/VR, the software side to things and the UX/UI design of the apps. This means that their team works together from different sectors to create the best work they possibly can.

2. Big Motive

This is a new company that I have discovered and from having a browse on their website and their socials the people who work there seem fun and friendly. A good work environment is important to be as I am a shy person but being around fun and friendly people will bring me out of my shell.

Another reason why I would like to work with Big Motive as they are all about creating digital services and products which improve people’s lives. As a designer this is what I want to achieve with my work and from researching this company it seems like they can help me fulfil that.

They have also worked with alot of well known clients such as The National Trust, Coca Cola, channel 4, Kainos and Danske Bank.

3. Angel & Anchor

This company is also new to me but looking at their website and socials they look like a bold and unique company who strive to help businesses stand out amongst their competitors. They describe themselves as a ‘ballsy branding studio’. Their website is bright and funky with very good UI design showing potential clients what they are good at. The studio does a range of things from brand strategy, brand identity, web design, packaging design and product photography to name a few.

International

1. Pony Studios https://pony.studio/

This studio is based in London and from being on their website not even 5 minutes I can get the feel of how amazing their work is. The projects they have worked on is exceptional, simple minimal design but is super modern and is simply breathtaking. Pony studios is a branding and creative design agency, there is nothing I don’t love about their website and the work they produce.

2. Clay https://clay.global/

Clay is a UI/UX design and branding agency in San Francisco, they have worked for some top brands including, Cocacola,Google Facebook, Slack and Uber to name a few. First of all their website is stunning and their work is outstanding. It would be an honour to work for a company such as Clay as they produce some of the top products that nearly everyone uses on a daily basis.

3. Creative Navy https://interface-design.co.uk/

Creative Navy is a user interface design focussed agency that adds value to digital products. This agency has been rated in the top 10 global UX design agencies from 2017 to 2020. Their disciplines involve: product strategy, user research, UX and UI design, prototyping and user testing, usability audit, web development. I want to work here as they cover a lot of different areas in design and research and are passionate to create solutions for problems for their clients. Some of their clients include CAT, John Deer, Philips, Bosch and Vodafone.