Week 5 – 3D Digital Literacy – Using Substance Painter

25/10/2023

Self-Reflection

This week is about using Adobe’s Substance Painter to add textures to your mesh build. Applying the textures to the outer surface of the War Hammer and making it look overall appealing.  However, Adobe Substance is a ‘3D painting software that allows users to texture and add materials directly to 3D meshes in real time. In comparison, Substance 3D Designer is primarily a material authoring software that generates textures from procedural patterns inside node-based graphs.’ Ref: 3D painting software – Adobe Substance 3D Painter

I was interested in using this platform as I had regularly used Blender for every task except Krita as I had to use it to edit UV meshes. This however was different and more fun to use as I was able to add in various textures that came with Substance and make the War Hammer more fancy than it was before. I found that making these UV textures was a little difficult because of having to light/colour areas constantly and having to organise a wide range of folders to their correct place.

It was such a hassle as some of the selected areas would select others that I didn’t want or just randomly deselect everything which was a pain in the neck. Still, it was a fun experience to do as I found enjoyment in making these UV meshes look decent. When making the hammer it was difficult to find a War Hammer PNG that best fits the stencil criteria and which best represents the instructor’s image. I was incapable of making adjustments to the images because they weren’t transparent therefore I used a Skull PNG that I found appealing and that had a transparent background. In the end, I exported the Mesh into Blender as I applied the UV Mesh to the model by connecting the ‘Colour’ tabs to each of the UVs and placing them on the object.

For this week’s assignment, I had to make a Helmet which was a hassle to make as had to use Ulster’s Computer software as I couldn’t download the Substance Painter on my Mac. Making it harder than it should have been but other than that the results were satisfactory. I have also used the instructor’s model for practice and texture consideration. 

These are the results…