Week 2 – 3D Digital Literacy – Using Blender – Practice & Tie Intercepter

04/10/2023

Self Reflection

3D Digital Literacy is about using a digital platform and studying it throughout practice. Learning the basics of 3D modelling, how it’s done and its role in the 3D animation pipeline. We do this by ‘breaking down shapes into primitives and modelling in phases’ by learning the Dos and Don’ts of Topology. The use of mathematical coordinates to represent any surface of an object whether it’s inanimate or living in a three-dimensional software by manipulation of the edges, polygons and vertices. Edges and Vertices are part of Polygons. Polygons are made up of triangles and must make up to 4 to form a quad.

I have learned that there are various modelling approaches in animation by in this course we only focus on two and that is Hard Surface and Soft Surface. Hard Surface is about Poly Modelling and this is mostly used to make an accurate model whereas Soft Surface is mainly about sculpting the model to replicate the real thing.

In this module, we had to make two models and one homework on the Blender software which was a Skateboard, Pull Kart and a Tie Interceptor for Homework. I found these quite difficult as it was hard to navigate as some of the simulations didn’t work effectively nor turned good therefore it took longer for me to finish but I’m glad I have gained that experience.

Animation Sequence