Categories
Animation Strategies - Assignment 1

Reflection

I have learned absolutely loads in this module.

Mainly, Unreal Engine. UE5 is – whilst sometimes frustrating – an incredible tool that I really enjoyed getting to know. At first, it was very confusing, but over time, it became more intuitive and I began to get very used to it. I learned that lighting is so massively important and that textures/models can only go so far without it. About a week ago, when I first put our models in, I was shocked at how boring everything looked. I was worried. But this was because of the lack of lighting. Lighting enabled me to bring my concepts and ideas to life.

Concept design was a standout in this module as well. I thoroughly enjoyed applying knowledge of value and landscapes to my work. This is something I have always wanted to get into but haven’t quite had the chance. I feel like I really developed these skills here.

I also learned the importance of time management and knowing when to commit to an idea, which I really will take on board for Semester 2. First year was more linear, so I didn’t struggle as much, but due to the more pipeline based approach for this project. I know now that I need to trust myself, make the choices, and therefore have something to challenge. When I began to push myself to do this, things moved a lot faster. 

I did struggle a lot on the final weekend as I unfortunately had the Christmas flu and was in bed, but I was in a good place by the Friday so I wasn’t drastically behind. I would have liked to – and still will – play further with After Effects and Ray Tracing in UE. I plan to do this over break. I will upload results on a new post! I actually managed to do Niagara particle effects on my Mac at home which was super fun, I was able to create a firefly and candle as you can see in my environment film.

In terms of the group, it was great to work with the same people from last Semester’s assignment. I’ve been able to watch them develop skills-wise which has helped my own development. I have become comfortable with them, which has been invaluable with being able to speak up, voice ideas and communicate.