Law of UX- Tesler’s Law (IXD303)

Tesler’s Law

Another law to look at in UX Design is Tesler’s Law which can be found in the Laws of UX Book.

Tesler’s Law states that “any system there is a certain amount of complexity which cannot be reduced.”

Key points to takeaway are:

1. Is such a function required
  2. Balance the difficulty
  3. Reduce the burden on users during the design and development stages of your design
  4. Make sure the system is simplified to a point.

Origins

During the 1980’s Larry Telser a computer scientist discovered the way in which users interact with an application, was just as important as the application itself. Larry Telser said in an interview that enigneer should spend time reducing the complexity of an application rather than making users spend alot longer using a program.

If an application is simple to user they will continue to use it and attempt more complex tasks.

Above is a diagram which explains the basics of Tesler’s Law

I think this Law is very important in UX Design. I will learn from this law and reduce the complexity of my webite and application to help improve my user’s experience using this product. I will make a huge effort to work hard during the design and development in order to make it smoother and simplifer process for users to use efficently.