Week 6- Promotional Strategy

Kyle give us a lecture on Promotional Strategy. This is ways to help us promote our work.  Promotional Strategy simply starts with a story. When writing our portfolio make sure it tells a story of our work. Stories stick in our memories therefore when we tell a story we want to stick in our potential employers minds. One way of telling a story is through different social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook. Tell a story of your work by engaging with others. It’s important to use Social Media effectively To:

• Sell
  • Add Value
  • Build Audience
  • Position
  • Network

Kyle spoke about some inspirational designers and showed examples of their work.

The 2nd step of Promotional Strategy is Socially speaking. This could be through word of mouth or online. Find people who are interested in you work. It’s important to be confident, talk about your work and have passion for what you do.

Thirdly use a discovery and engine like Instagram and Twitter to post and talk up your work to help promote yourself. When making posts think of the best time to post. Don’t spam or overwhelm people. I useful tools to use are Buffer or Medium. Design your twitter and Instagram profile appropriately. In your bio into external links to your portfolio. When coming up with ideas have a look at inspiration. Think of the type of thinks you can write about especially in the first post to grab the users attention.

Kyle shared a list of designers we should follow on twitter and Instagram for inspiration. In order to be successful invest in it.

For this week Kyle asked us to create an Instagram post to showcase my work. Basically tell as story of my work.

After the lecture we had talks from Global Payments and Rapid7. I felt both companies were interesting and sold themselves really well. They shared the what work we could expect to do and what all is involved.

I felt this week was very interesting to learn about ways of promoting myself and my work. I enjoyed both talks as I will soon start applying once my portfolio and CV is up to date.