Week 4- web content and web flow

Today in class we revised the basic HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) which we used in first year for coding our websites. HTML editor is normally brackets. HML should always be written in lowercase. It’s important have opening and closing Tags. Web browsers such as Goggle Chrome, Firefox, etc, should all display a website. In the head tag you normally include things such as Page Title, CSS Links. Body Tag would normally include things such as Heading, Paragraph and Images, etc. We looked at headings these are important to help structure your content on a website. We the  looked at HTML Attributes such as Alt Tags which can be used on a website as a screen reader. HTML Comments allows the html editor to leave a comment which makes it easy to back to the same section to make changes. The most important attributes I need on my portfolio site are Links and Images. Links allow you to link info on other pages. Link Targets allows you to stay on a browser or open a new window. Word of advice don’t use any spaces in your links. We looked different image formats such as JPG such is good for images. Gifs which are appropriate for Animation. PNG is good for transparent Images and Icons. SVG is vector based and allow Images to be scaled up and down. SVG are commonly used in Brands. Top Tip is to make sure your Image Dimensions aren’t too large.

After break we looked at CSS which stands for Cascading Style Sheet. CSS allows us to style our webpages and web content. You can link a style sheet to a specific webpage. This is located in the head section. By using CSS you can select multiple properties on multiple webpages as well as selecting specific or multiple elements. CSS can allow you to style a list, add colour, text-decoration, text alignments and font weight and styles.

We looked at what content should be displayed on a website. Nav is the most important link displayed at the Top of the website. Nav doesn’t just have to be links it can display other content. A header is located at the top with content such as Logos, name, links, etc and footer at the bottom with foot notes, name, links, copyright.  The main content is were all your main content such as headings, paragraphs and images go.

In our website we should consider the content, padding, border and margin. Padding is space between the top of the webpage. Margin is used to space the content on page between text and images. Generic Boxes are used for container elements. We lastly explored CSS Selectors.

After we went through all this we had a talk from ESO about placement opportunities. They said were looking 2 placement students for the summer. I felt this talk very interesting and they seem like a great and supportive company to work for. I should definitely consider applying for them. The deadline is the Friday the 5th of Nov.

Lastly Kyle give us a brief tutorial of how to use Webflow. I felt it was very useful and insightful. It looked simple. For this week I’m hopefully going to work on creating my  own portfolio using webflow.