#IXD103-Week 3- Digitising Monograms

This week we had to continue work on our monograms and begin to digitise them to get a more realistic feel of what they’d look like. to do this, I chose the design I felt had most potential and brought it to Adobe Illustrator where I began to try and bring it to life.

I was amazed to see how different the same monogram could look depending on the typeface. The fonts used from Left- Right are Thonburi, Noteworthy, Helvetica, and Myriad Pro.

Overall I think the most effective typefaces were Noteworthy and Helvetica as they abstracted the letters the most and therefore made the monogram more eye-catching to me. However, despite this I am still not fully satisfied with either of these typefaces as I feel that they are too bold. I really like how fluid the Helvetica typeface looks as the points at which the letters meet makes it look like a continuous design instead of two letters overlapping each other.

I also think the slight break between the letters is effective as it makes the monogram more interesting to look at and makes it a bit easier to understand what the monogram says.

I continued experimenting with other monograms that I had previously sketched on paper to see if I liked any other designs better.

Final Product

I wanted to try to fit the S inside the C and I really love how it looks. at first glance you would not be able to tell it was two letters however, upon a closer look both letters are clearly legible. I like this design much better and think it looks much cleaner and professional. I feel this monogram fits my brand well and is very versatile as it would fit in well with most of my brand designs. I am very happy I continued to experiment as this was not a design that immediately jumped out at me when I originally designed it on paper.