#IXD101- Follow the Rhythm Project

For this project we were asked to choose one of our favourite songs and present the lyrics in a way in which we thought suited the artist and genre the best. We had to take rhythm and pacing into consideration and apply emphasis to important lines/words where necessary. it was very hard to narrow it down to one song however I eventually decided to choose “The Nights” by Avicci.

Research

Before starting on the design I decided to research type hierarchy as we had learnt about in Week4’s lecture. Typographic hierarchy is a system for organising type that establishes an order of importance within the data, allowing the reader to easily find what they are looking for and navigate the content. This is done by making the important parts bigger and/or increasing their weight, making them the most eye-catching part of the poster.

The song I chose is a pop song so I began to look at Paula Scher as she is well known for using pop culture as inspiration in her works, making her a great artist to look at. works of hers that I was drawn to the most include:

I love how bright and busy these posters are as they create a very lively and upbeat aura which I want to also achieve in my poster as the song I have chosen is also very lively and upbeat. I really like how the text looks like it is moving with the models in the poster and would love to try and recreate that with my poster too.

I decided to also look at the original cover for the song to see what design and colour scheme was originally chosen so I could then incorporate it into my work.

Paula Scher’s work fits very well into the original artwork for the song so I plan on incorporating the colours used in the original cover whilst using Scher’s typography style for the lyrics to tie them both together.