IXD301 Portfolio Website Visual Style

Image of visual style for Rachels Design LabImage of visual style for Rachels Design LabImage of visual style for Rachels Design LabImage of visual style for Rachels Design LabImage of visual style for Rachels Design Lab

While I have already created brand guidelines for my brand I have made some changes since their creation e.g. removing the wordmark from my logo. I, therefore, decided to create the above visual style used to create my portfolio website.

The information included on my monogram was as follows:

The monogram included in the Rachels Design Lab logo has been created to combine both letters of my initials “RD”. It is also double’s up in representing Rachel’s Design as well.

This has been combined with a wordmark created in a custom type using the typeface DM Sana. In most instances the wordmark is now dropped and the monogram acts as a stand alone logo.

I created the style guide following the changes made to my colour palette to improve accessibility i.e. colour contrast. My primary use of purple is on white backgrounds, in these instances, I use colour code #8f53e9. To highlight the colour I have placed it in the largest box in the above colour palette section. On light blue box backgrounds #f4f6ff, I used #9b06ff and on nearly black backgrounds #I91818 I used #af82ff. I have placed the colours beside each other to make this information more accessible in the above colour palette as well.

During the production of my portfolio website, I experimented with a variety of typefaces before selecting Satoshi.

Satoshi is a modernist sans serif typeface. Its design combines typically grotesk-style letterforms, with some characters that are quite geometrically-designed.

I really liked that Satoshi added a slightly more modern and unique feel to my portfolio website in contrast to Helvetica. However, as I wanted to use a different and very readable typeface for my body text I have continued to use Helvetica for body type.