101 Week 06: Human-Centred Design

Human-Centred Design

Class this week, spoke about how every design should be centred around the humans interaction with it, not just the user as is normally spoken about. It is important for a design to feel connected to human nature with how its operated to really create a better user experience. As designers, it’s very important to keep the target audience in mind. When designing for young people or the elderly you need to consider if the typography and use of colour and images cater to that target audience.

We were told about IDEO and what they do with human centered design. IDEO is a design firm that has always had a strong focus on human centered design from creating the first manufacturable mouse in 1980. IDEO was originated from David Kelley Design in 1978 and was then merged with Bill Moggridge and Mike Nuttall’s business in 1991 to create IDEO. They had a lot of successful products and this caused Bill Moggridge to realise that how users interact with the software is a whole new design practice called interaction design. Jane Fulton Suri observed users using an everyday computer and mouse as she spearheaded the design of an ergonomic mouse. However IDEO doesn’t just design for the computer industry, they’ve expanded to more complicated world issues such as healthcare and education, still using the core values of human-centered design.

This class also provided an intro to Github (version control software), the biggest social network for coders.

Our task was to download the text file given to us about Ireland’s Rugged Coast and try to match it, using markdown, as close to this image below.

This is the markdown I created using the software, Atom;

This was then previewed in my web browser

It doesn’t look exactly like the original webpage but the correct markdown syntax was used and formatted correctly. This was good introduction to using coding programs and taught me the simple errors to look out for. For a while the blockquote did not format correctly in the browser but then I realised I needed to put a space between ‘<‘ and the text. Understanding that now, I’ll look out for very small errors that could possibly be in my code while I write it to try and avoid tedious corrections like this.