ixd303 week 04

This week we looked at how to sketch interfaces. Paper’s low-fidelity approach enables lots of outputs. It allows fine detail by doing most of the work before it goes to Figma.

Speed Drawing Exercise

Sketching a padlock, speech bubble, house, heart, magnifying glass and camera in 20 seconds, 10s and 5s.

Miller’s Law – Miller’s Law originated with George Miller, a cognitive studies professor at Harvard discussing the limits of short-term memory and judgement among young adults. Organise content in smaller chunks to help process, understand and memorise.

Exercise (5 minutes)

Mapping the flow of adding a picture to Instagram. What’s the process of doing it and all the screens you’ll encounter?

Results:

Opening the camera, taking photos as 1st step or opening the app. Then four choices: Post, Story, Reel, Live

Plant Co. Team Exercise

Sketches aren’t prototypes. Prototype early and often looking at flows and wireframes to conceptualise digital product for plant-care systems, thinking about the user base. It’s a system were the plant will grow itself using Bluetooth and cloud-based technology.

Companion for the pot itself

Guide identification

Recommendation of plants.

Step 1: In groups of 2-3 working on sketching processes. Read the brief. This is for a smart connected product and you are creating the digital product that will connect to that. Also think about moisture, light, temperature and location. Think about the flow and the audience. What are the steps people will go through. What is the context?

Exercise: 20 minutes.

Rapid Prototype Ideas Exercise: 12 minutes for 6 screens.

Design your log-ins etc. by sketch and refine.

Feedback – Feels like social media, raises profile of plants, gives them a sort of biography.

I found this week to be quiet useful, I think it helped me get back into the way of sketching and getting it done of paper first. This week coming in I need to focus on creating and developing user personas as I continue my research

Below are my user personas I have developed from my user research and topic research