ixd303 week 01

Our first week is an introduction to the module, deliverables and expectations for the next 12 weeks. Over the upcoming weeks we will be researching as much as possible into the brief and relevant topics. Then after the research phase to start sketching, wireframing to a final outcome of a high quality prototype. The brief is to design a digital product for the healthcare sector.

Some things to consider during this project

• who is your digital product aimed at?
  • are you targeting healthcare professionals?
  • are you targeting the public?
  • what age are they?
  • where are they?
  • do they have access to digital devices?
  • can they use digital devices?
  • what will your product do?

For the research and discovery phase we will be working in teams. Then the rest of the deliverable is solo. Doing research as a team will be helpful as the team will be able to share ideas and different research topics. It will be good to see how others conduct their research and to get some opinions on mine to keep me on track and motivate me to research further.

After finding out our teams we went on to a lecture on what UX is. Writing my own definition I said UX is to solve problems that effect and help a users needs within a design matter. Essentially UX is a problem solving discipline. We then went on to look at the Jakob’s Law. Users spend most of their time on other sites so this means that users will prefer your site to work the same way as all other sites they are already familiar with.

A good thing to help with process is to look at some design models. There is three design models we covered in today’s lecture.

• The Double Diamond – Design Council
  • Human-Centred Design Methodology – IDEO
  • Design Thinking – d.school

The Double Diamond shows a process of exploring an issue in wider sense and then taking focused action. It goes through 4 stages. Discover, Define, Develop and Deliver.

The Human Centred Design Methodology follows through 3 stages. Inspiration, Ideation and Implementation

The Stanford d.school Design Thinking Process goes through 5 stages. Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype and Test.

For the type of project we will be undertaking I feel like I would benefit most from the Stanford d.school Design Thinking Process as it mostly covers and relates most to the deliverables and expectation’s of this project. I feel like the process takes you through each important part of a project. I like mostly the ’empathize’ part where it’s a crucial part to your process to start with lots of research both wide and focused.

This week I need to get my blog started up again and start my discovery and research within my team. I talked to my team before we left the studio and decided to keep a group chat and miro board to share work on.

To begin my research I need to brainstorm healthcare in general. Below is a quick mind map of some areas of healthcare that was covered in class and some of my own ideas added on. As I branched out into different areas I found myself wanting to develop ideas around disability and how ux could help with different conditions etc. I think this area is going to be my main topic for the project. I feel like I could get good research from looking into general health sites, charities, interviewing people with different conditions, as well as maybe documenting first hand experience I have with my own condition and try to pinpoint what day to day factors are a difficult matter and in what way could ux help.

I also added some links and some quick ideas I’ve had so far for a digital product.

Ideas based on the focus into disability and can UX help with day to day factors

1. Screen attachment for wheelchair arm that helps day to day tasks/helps with motor skills
  2. Physiotherapy app that helps and guides you visually through movements and stretches etc
  3. Touch Voice app that helps with communication- already a product but can I make it better and more inclusive/accessible
  4. screen attachment product that helps stabilize uncontrollable movements of the hands. A monitor on back of hand that picks up on movements and helps counteract them. In the form of a watch or bracelet. Screen would be movement speed and strength control.