ixd104 week 08 reflection

Designing Infographics

Infographics are graphic representations of information, data or knowledge designed to present information quickly and clearly.

Telling a story

Infographics should leave you feeling informed.

All infographics communicate information, and there are two approaches:

1. Explorative
  2. Narrative

They communicate something meaningful, something of value, worth telling. If the information is incomplete or untrustworthy, creating an infographic is sometimes used to cover that up. Be careful of this.

• Use your strengths.
  • It’s all about the data.

1. 1. Create your data processes
  2. Create your wireframes – lay everything out first. There has to be a journey.
  3. Process your data
  4. Check your sources
  5. Have a story – think about placing speech bubbles
  6. Set the tone – match the subject matter: serious or light-hearted matter?
  7. consider your type – don’t relay on fancy type, use icons and graphics as much as you can
  8. Control colour – sticking with three colours could be a good rule of thumb.
  9. Utilise white space – helps information breathe, don’t restrict it
  10. Take a break – stepping away can help you process things
  11. Proof read x3 – as you go through; get someone else, fresh eyes, on your work
  12. Test along the way
  13. Make revisions

Nicolas Felton

Designer, entrepreneur, and artist whose work focuses on translating quotidian data into meaningful objects and experiences. I really like both of Felton’s style types. His data visualisations are so precise and detailed, but I also like his infographic work as its bold with how to lays out his data and how he uses different design elements to present the data as well.

Self-Reflection

This week I have been researching on different ideas for my infographic and have decided to do it on the Fukushima Disaster. I have decided to do this topic as it interests me how it all happened within a 3-day span, the earthquake, the tsunami and then the power plant accident. I feel like I will have lots of data to cover and choose from which I think when doing my research will be a good advantage as I’ll have loads to cover upon. This week I plan to do in depth research into the Fukushima Disaster and gather as much statistics as I can find so I when I start the design process, I can just get on with it and have the information there for when I need it.