IXD104 Week 9: Lecture Reflection

This weeks lecture was on manufactured fictions in the age of instagram. This lecture was to me a sort of breather from the content we had be looking at, all relating in some way to course work.

We started by looking at deep fakes and in particular deep fake Tom Cruise. I personally find some deep fakes quite funny like the one where someone deep faked tom holland and RDJ into Back To the Future but I can see how they can see where it could potentially cause problems. We also looked at how people idolise influencers and celebrities  for no good reason and the spreading of fake news. We looked a bit at old photojournalism and we looked at brands trying to capture nostalgia in advertising to appeal to consumers. We the looked at hipstamatic, citizen journalism and social photography.

We then looked at specifically at instagram. Things like how it essentially killed pictory and the weirdnesss that is virtual influencers.

Overall this was a really interesting and thought provoking lecture. I’m not sure if it had any relevance to the projects I’m currently working on but I suppose it does a bit to me build my brand and social media present. Regardless though I really enjoyed this weeks lecture content, it was something different and I appreciate that.