IXD103 Week 8: Lecture Reflection

Style Guidelines

In this week’s lecture was kind of a continuation of last week’s on brand guidelines although, this time it was all about style guides  and what they can consist of.

We first looked at style guides and pattern libraries, what they are, what they should consist of and things to consider when compiling them. We also looked at a range of helpful resources relating to pattern libraries and style guides.

We then looked at some modern tools that can help in crafting a style guide. The tool’s we looked at were style tiles, element collages and interface inventories.

We then got our tasks for the week which included updating our research blogs. The task for the day was to choose a website and create an interface inventory, documenting all the interactive elements of it. I put a link to that in the task section below.

I found this lecture very interesting majority of what we touched on was new to me. Like the modern tools we looked at, but I can see how they can be useful for companies to insure consistency in their brand on their websites but also for my when I’m creating my own portfolio site.

This Week’s Tasks