Today’s class was all about typography, and the importance of it in a design concept.
- Typography exists to honour content
- There is a style beyond style
- Read the text before designing it
Web design is 95% typography. 95% of the information on the web is written language.
Mark-up and Meaning
- Introductory paragraphs
- Highlight words
- Use meaningful sub-headings
- Embrace lists
- Reduce word count
- Use blockquotes
We need to ease the reader in, and when they’re eased in, ensure reading is a joy.
Five Typography Rules
- Focus on body copy
- Choose a comfortable point size
- Consider leading
- Maintain the measure
- Select a legible typeface
I really like this example of a change in typography that Kyle showed us in today’s class. It perfectly conveys how much a piece of text can be changed by the power of typography. The one on the left is much more simplistic, and sophisticated, whereas the one on the right is much more playful and fun.