IXD301 Wk8:- Creating User Personas and Scenarios

In preparation for my element project I created user personas in order to be able to get some personal insight into my users that I was creating the product for

Due to the past research that I had done in terms of personas I felt that I was in a much better place and had a much better understanding of personas so I felt ready to start creating some for my element project.

I decided that in order to collect data for my user personas that I would create questionnaires that I would send out to be filled.

When creating the questionnaire I had to carefully consider which questions I would ask and which were not necessary. Since the questionnaire would be aimed at kids I also had to make sure that it would be easy to fill/understand and that it would not bee too long as kids don’t have a long attention span.

Due to the book A Project Guide to UX Design I already had some of the basic information that I needed, such as name and age. I then decided that I would also ask which class the kids are in and if they know anything about elements in order to get a better understanding of what age they start learning about the elements. I then decided to also ask about their likes and hobbies in order to get a better sense of who the kids are and what they want. This will all help me under stand my users better.

With my questions in mind I then made the questionnaire using Google forms.

I then sent out my questionnaire and within a week I started receiving replies.

I received a total of 5 responses from kids ages 5-12. I felt that this would at least allow me to have some insight because eat the end of the day something is better than nothing

Afterwards I then went through all of the data and information that I had accumulated and started arranging it into user personas in order to add more personality to each person.

I went onto Figma and began designing Personas for each of the 5 kids:

The personas will be a great help as they will be a way of reminding me who I am designing for and what my project is about. It will ground and make sure that I put the user first and it will allow me to see who my users are and what they want

User Scenarios

I then went on to create a user scenario for each of the persona, but first what is a user scenario.

“User scenarios are stories which designers create to show how users might act to achieve a goal in a system or environment”

User scenarios can help describe what a person does on a website and more specifically why they do it. It allows the designer to get a insight into the motivations and needs of the user and what they might use the app, website for product.

Annabelle – User Scenario

Annabelle is getting more curious about the world around her. She is asking her parents a lot of questions about what things are made of, as a way to help her learn and get her answers they introduce her to Elemental Finds

Peter – User Scenario

Peter gets given homework of having to learn about the elements and know 5 different elements and their uses for school. As a quick and fun way to learn he uses Elemental Finds to help teach him all about it

Daniella – User Scenario

Daniella goes to the swimming pool with her family and asks her parents what is in the water as a way of teaching her about elements they give her Elemental Finds to play and learn with

Samuel User Scenario

Samuel is interested in science and wants to be a scientist when he grows up. Elemental Finds is given to him as a way of encouraging his interests and helping him learn

Maria User Scenario

Maria is starting to learn about the elements in high school, she wants to do some further learning on her own as she is struggling to learn about the elements. Elemental Finds can be used as a fun way to commit the information to her memory