IXD103 Wk1:- Content Audit Exercise

D I S N E Y

Word Bank –

Containing suitable words and phrases that are on brand and associated with the company.

• “Family Friendly”
  • “Entertainment”
  • “Fun for the whole family”
  • “Friends”
  • “Magical”
  • “Where dreams come true”
  • “Entertain, inform and inspire people all around the globe”
  • “Unparalleled Storytelling”
  • “Creative Minds”
  • “Imagination has no age”
  • “Dreams are Forever”

Word Dictionary –

The brand dictionary defines the organization’s terminology and jargon to ensure consistent use throughout all its communications

• Disney uses the word “employees” and “staff members” when referring to their workforce. I think if they wanted to change it or appear more open and friendly “helpers” would be a good choice. At Disneyland and in Disney stores employees are referred to as “cast members” and customers as “guests”
  • Refer to the company as a “we” and as a “us”  whenever writing a email or letter.
  • Start letters and emails to costumers with a “Hello (customers name)” as it sounds more friendly and builds a rapport.
  • Refer to the shops where Disney merchandise is sold as “Disney Stores”

Tone of Voice –

Describing the Essence –

• “Anything is Possible”
  • “A Magical Experience”
  • “A Magical Moment”
  • “Dreams come True”
  • “Entertain, Inform, Inspire”
  • “Imagination is Limitless”
  • “Dream with Disney”

Strapline Summarizing its Raison D’etre –

• “Let your Imagination run Wild with Disney”
  • “Where Dreams become a Reality with Disney”

Employees should be honest, trust worthy, respectful, play by the rules, work well in a team etc. When engaging with customers they should be addressed in a friendly but formal manner. Employees at Disneyland are encouraged to talk to guests and ask them about their visit and stay, they should try and make the conversation an easy flowing one that’s a one-of-a-kind experience. Employees should always be happy to help customers with whatever they need and customers should be made to feel like VIP even if they aren’t. At the start of letters and emails “Hello (name)” should be used Shareholders, managers, directors etc. should be addresses in a professional manner. At the start of letters and emails “Dear (name)” should be used.

Everyone that represents Disney should try and keep the magic feeling real and should present themselves in a way that represents Disney in a good light.

Originally when I started to do the content audit exercise I had a bit of a hard time thinking of all the things that were necessary and useful and what words and phrases would be used by the business as I had never had to really try think about things from the perspective of a business before, but as I went on it became easier and easier to get in that mindset.

Overall I found this exercise  very useful especially for when it came to outlining my very own brand as it helped give me a sense of what I needed to do.