IxD301 – Site Mapping / User Journey Mapping

A site map (or sitemap) is a list of pages of a web site within a domain.

A user flow map can help designers (and their teams or clients) stay user-centered, even when mapping out complex processes. As a designer, you can use user flow diagrams to decide how you’ll design pages, screens, or surfaces on your website or app and rearrange what content and navigational tasks to include.

User flows are diagrams that display the complete path a user takes when using a product. The user flow lays out the user’s movement through the product, mapping out each and every step the user takes—from entry point right through to the final interaction.

A user journey map (also known as a customer journey map) is a diagram that visually illustrates the user flow through your site, starting with initial contact or discovery, and continuing through the process of engagement into long-term loyalty and advocacy.

Here is my initial site map. I am going to complete my first wireframes based on this very basic layout, however I do feel that this could change in the future and more pages are going to have to be added.

I was heavily inspired by the UX on the WWF app, which I have mentioned in previous blogs. The app basically had a slide tile layout, which really appealed to me. My site map really helped me to figure out what content I needed to include and helped me to stay on track, making sure I stayed focused on my target audience.

Link to Site Map (Version 1) – Here

Link to my User Journey Map – Here

I created my User journey map on Miro. Personally, I felt this was a really critical part of my app development, as it helped me to empathise with my user and understand their ‘Pain Points’. It helped me to focus on how I could improve my app to improve the user’s journey.