IxD103 – TED talk – Sunni Brown, doodlers unite

Sunni Brown – Doodlers Unite

Sunni Brown speaks about how our culture are blinded to the value of doodling. In this 5 minute speech, she explains the value of doodling and how it is a natural thing we learn to do as human beings.

Doodling is literally defined as… to do nothing, to dilly dally… This however is not true. No wonder so many people tend to have a negative mindset towards the practice of doodling. It was frowned upon in many classrooms in school, frowned upon in the workplace and has even been investigated in certain political situations. Sunni Brown is trying to remove all of these negative connections to doodling and wants to reinforce doodling as an extremely powerful tool, that we need to normalise, remember and relearn.

Sunni Brown changed the definition of doodling…

“To make spontaneous marks to help yourself think”,

and I couldn’t agree more with this. I have always been a doodler, always scribbling on my school books, maybe even on the walls. Even though I don’t think I will do that again, I think it is a very important thing for me when I’m doing my own uni work. It’s fun, I don’t take it too seriously and I find it really stimulates ideas. I used to be embarrassed about showing my rough sketches, however now, I am wiser and realise that they are just as important as the final pieces. That’s why I always carry a sketchbook with me.

People who doodle when retaining information, retain 29% more than those who don’t. It’s a preemptive measure to stop you from loosing focus. It also has a profound effect on problem solving and creative thinking.

Sunni Brown believes that doodling should be implemented into every aspect of work and learning. It is so universal and not intimidating as an art form, therefore can be used as a portal through which we move people into higher levels of visual literacy. Anyone can do it… so lets do it!