IxD103 – Week 3 – Typography

Week 3 – Typography

We started this week off with reviewing our monogram sketches on Padlet. Daniel gave me some great pointers and was able to give me constructive advice which I will use to progress my monograms further. We discussed how my earlier ideas were the best, they were more simple and I can’t wait to work further into them to see what else I can come up with.

We then spoke about the history of typography. After that presentation we went back to what we discussed in week one… chosen words and tone of voice. Daniel told us how typography can represent the tone we want our brand to give of so it is vitally important to choose an appropriate typeface. It will help to create your brand identity.

We went through the book “Meet your Type”, a comical approach to learning what font is right for different circumstances.

It’s a really interesting read, something that I reflected upon again after class. I think it will be a really useful resource to keep in mind, even in the future.

Next, we began discussing the Anatomy of Type. I find this really interesting and it is definitely something I would like to learn more about. We completed an exercise where we had to identify and label different elements of the letters in our name…

I think this was another great learning exercise. I used an excellent article on Visme.com, which was very useful for helping me point out different elements and also gave great descriptions and definitions.

Choosing/Using Type

We started by completing four menti boards on different typefaces. This was a great way of seeing what effects and personality each typeface has. When choosing a font it is vital that your remember who your audience is.

Why did we do this? 

We completed this exercise to reiterate that tone of voice is not only given through the words of choice, but also the font.

Word Play task

We were set the task to pick 6 words and convey their meaning in the typographic design. We were advised to use Helvetica. I found a lot of inspiration on Pinterest. (https://pin.it/6YXGPMW)

I found that the best way for me to come up with new ideas was to randomly generate words. Below I have a list of 20+ words which I then went on to choose from and start randomly sketching. I then rendered my ideas using Adobe XD. I found this exercise very enjoyable and I would definitely like to spend more time seeing how many more ideas I could come up with.

My favourite one is the shine word play. I think its very fun and pretty.

Documentary Review