IxD101 – Follow the Rhythm Project

Follow the Rhythm

My chosen song for the follow the rhythm project, is Heart of Glass, by Blondie. I absolutely love this song and especially love the 70s era. For my initial inspiration, I began by watching the iconic music video. Blondie surrounded by her band, typical 70’s disco set up. I noted down all of the things that caught my eye, no matter how random or irrelevant they might be to my final project….

From there, I went on to complete some very scribbly sketches in order to formulate ideas. My main aim was to keep it simple, but groovy as all of the images and album covers I took inspiration from, from the 70s era seemed to be like this…

Choosing my font was one of the most important steps, as each album cover has a very decorative font style. I ended up going for two different fonts, named Monoton and Pirata One (included in my final design).

Design #1

This was my first attempt at my Follow the Rhythm project. I’m starting basic to see what I can include to build upon it but I also want to be cautious not to overcrowd it. The background was too plain for me, however I really like the chosen font and could see it’s potential.

Design #2

For my second attempt, I definitely think that this colour scheme definitely works better for the vibe I was hoping to achieve. The effect of a vinyl record is starting to appear and I’m really happy with how it looked at this point.

Design #3

My Final outcome is acc just what I was hoping for. The centre piece really finishes it off. It has a contemporary feel and I think it really speaks for the era.